The Water Bucket WOD is designed to replicate the experience of extreme water poverty. Carrying the day’s water by bucket is a daily, sometimes multiple times per day exercise. Retrieving water is often the responsibility of the girls and women and is not unusual that they must also carry a child on their back, wearing a weighted vest/ruck/backpack will mimic this experience. The workout is scalable to any fitness level, feel free to modify any part of the workout.
- Use 1 bucket instead of 2
- Add more or less weight or water
- Use body weight instead of a Ruck or weighted vest
- Substituting exercises
- Ruck up.
- Get two five-gallon buckets per person.
- Let’s go!
- Get the water.
- Ruck to the Noonday Trail entrance
- Proceed on the path down to the bridge overpass
- Form a bucket brigade to fill up everyone’s buckets.
2. Farmer’s carry both buckets of water 600+m to Woofstock Park
3. Do the WOD
For the “workout” portion we will do a 13 minutes and 5 seconds AMRAP (As many repetitions as possible). 13:05 is 785 seconds, this represents the estimated 785 million people in the world currently living in water poverty.
- Front Lunge x 20 single leg (right leg, left leg = 2 reps) cradle bucket in front
- Decline Pushups x 20 (Feet on top of the bucket, do a pushup)
- Front Squat x 20 (Cradling your bucket)
- Bucket Press x 20 (Press bucket overhead starting at your chest = 1 rep)
- Bucket High Pull x 20 (Holding bucket in front of you by the handle by both hands pull the bucket up til you elbows are parallel to your shoulders)
4. Farmer’s carry both buckets of water back to the bridge overpass to dump the water back in Noonday Creek.
5. Ruck back to Woodstock Amphitheater
Prayer requests for men to lead appropriately in their family (a couple of specifics were mentioned here)
Prayer requests for multiple ruckers out for various sicknesses
It is always a pleasure to lead these guys. YHC especially enjoyed leading a Ruck and WOD that was meant to be bigger than the normal Saturday morning start to the weekend. YHC spoke about the ability to donate to Water Boys to provide clean water to the 785 million in the world that do not have easy access to it. May be all look to invest our time, passion, talent, and money in things that will outlast us!