Well, it started out as an honorarium to Alexander Graham Bell, who patented the telephone on this date in 1876. YHC creatively worked in a modern-day iPhone to share in this momentous occasion. Unfortunately, we never discussed it in the beatdown, so here it is for all to see now. However, with that being said, we conducted a musical Dora for the day.
Starting out with Chumbaburpees, a warm up comprised of SSHs to the song ‘Tubhumping’ by Chumbawamba (c’mon… you know it… “I get knocked down, and I get up again…”). Every time they sing “I get knocked down…” you do a burpee. There are 27 of these in the song. So, it was fun. :-).
Then, we did a series of exercises lasting the length of whatever song was playing. Here’s the exercise and song list with the length of the song (all this done Dora style, with partners alternating running and exercising, with no set number of reps):
- Merkins – Ohio (Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young) – 3 minutes
- Rockette Hillbillies – Dark Necessities (Red Hot Chili Peppers) – 5 minutes
- WarHammers – Bad Reputation (Joan Jett) – 3 minutes
- Alabama Ass-Kickers – Jump into the Fire (Harry Nilsson) – 7 minutes (seemed to go on forEVER!)
- Travolta Merkins – Flower (Moby) – 3.5 minutes
- SSH-Burpees (5 SSH + 2 Burpees – Repeat) – Tainted Love (Soft Cell version) – 9 minutes (lots of fun!)
- Outlaws – Moonage Daydream (David Bowie) – 6.5 minutes
- No Surrenders – Bang on the Drum All Day (Todd Rundgren) – 3.5 minutes *
We ran a bit out of time, and actually finished up the No Surrenders just as Moonage Daydream was finishing because the assembled PAX needed a demonstration of just about every exercise. YHC thinks he was played after the warm-up. Just sayin’.
Now, the astute among you recognize that the first letter of each exercise spells out ‘Mr. Watson’, a nod of respect to the man who more than likely pushed Bell to actually transmit voice over the wire (and also, the suspected first telephone call went something like this: “Mr. Watson, come here. I need you.”. Speculation, but very likely true. Another nod is that the entire process was played out on an iPhone, which shows the evolutionary power of capitalism.
CoT: TAPS for Dory’s son, who is excelling in his work-study program; Babyface’s father and his heart surgeries; YHC’s M as she undergoes knee surgery tomorrow and for the people of Ukraine, and the world, as we ask for God’s strength to endure this crazy time.